ACCEPTED DOCUMENTS AS ID FOR YOUR MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD
Do you need to be a resident of California to get a medical card?
Under current state laws, you will not be able to obtain a Medical Marijuana card as a tourist. Proof of residency would be required for the specific state you’re applying within.
How do you show proof of residency?
- Government-issued photo ID.
- Residential lease/property deed.
- Utility bill.
- Letter from the government/court (marriage license, divorce, government aid)
- Bank statement.
- Driver’s license/learner’s permit.
- Car registration.
- Notarized affidavit of residency.
Rules for Out-of-State Patients
Non-California residents are allowed to purchase recreational and medical marijuana.
If an out-of-state patient wants medical marijuana, they must make an appointment to speak with and be recommended by a physician licensed in the state of California, just like a state resident.
If an out-of-state resident wants to purchase recreational marijuana, all they need to have is identification, such as a driver’s license, state ID, or federal ID.
Please remember that marijuana purchased in California can only be consumed and kept in California. You cannot take the marijuana products outside of the state.
Can I use an expired ID at a dispensary?
Below are the required documents you’ll need to obtain a Medical Marijuana Card in California
CALIFORNIA MARIJUANA LICENSE
In order to buy medical marijuana from any licensed cannabis dispensary in California you will need any form of ID with proof of Residency in California:
- Valid California ID (DMV issued California driver’s license or identification card)
- Valid Passport or Out of State ID with Proof of California Residency (i.e., utility bill, rental lease, car or voter registration)
- Valid Passport or Out of State ID with Temporary DMV Form
- Expired California ID with Temporary DMV Form
- Valid California Government – Issued ID
- Valid Resident Card for California (green card)
- Temporary DMV Form with Any Photo ID
- Military Card with Proof of California Residency
- Out of State ID with Proof of California Residency (i.e., utility bill, rental lease, car or voter registration)
Any of these documents can be used to obtain your Medical Marijuana Card in California. Any additional form of ID must be issued by the United States government.
Birth Certificates are not accepted.
ONLY California residents can become a medical marijuana patient in California.
BECOME A MEDICAL MARIJUANA PATIENT IN CALIFORNIA
- Patients must be California residents with a valid California ID as proof of residency. If you do not have a California ID, an out of state ID, passport, or other photo ID with proof of residency — bank statement, utility bill, or rental agreement — is acceptable
- Patients are advised (but not required) to obtain legitimate medical records or documentation from their primary care physician that describes their diagnosis and bring them to the medical marijuana evaluation appointment.
- Talk to our licensed Medical Marijuana Doctors by scheduling an appointment online here.
- Once you have obtained a written medical marijuana recommendation from a California licensed MMJ Doctor, you can register with the California Department of Public Health, Public Health Policy and Research Branch, and Medical Marijuana Program Unit as stated under Prop 64 to help you to avoid some taxes.